| 6.2°C Dublin

Web designer who punched man in head told to pay €2,500 compensation

A WEB designer who punched another man until he lost consciousness in a Dublin nightclub has been told to pay €2,500 compensation to the victim.

Rory Sturdy (35) had been speaking to the man's girlfriend when an argument broke out over spilled drinks and Sturdy punched him repeatedly in the head.

Dublin District Court heard the victim suffered temporary hearing loss as a result. Judge Michael Walsh adjourned the case for payment of compensation.

Sturdy, with an address at Rathflesk, Rathmoylan, Co Meath, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to a man at Everleigh Garden, Harcourt Street, on September 29 last year.

Sgt Peter Seery told the court the alleged victim had been at the bar with his girlfriend when the accused came over and began talking to her.

Sturdy knocked the victim's drink from his hand, and he in turn knocked over the accused's drink, Sgt Seery said.

The defendant lunged at the man, "took him to the ground" and punched him in the head several times.

The man lost consciousness for several seconds and suffered a cut to his left ear and bruising over his left cheek and eye.

He had temporary hearing loss, but there were no long-term injuries.


The victim made a full recovery with no after-effects.

Sturdy had no previous convictions.

Defence solicitor Stephen O'Mahony said he had "some issue" with the facts as presented, but accepted the substance of the assault itself.

He said it began with a minor incident that developed into a scuffle on the ground and the defendant accepted he threw the first blow.

"Clearly my client was very intoxicated," Mr O'Mahony said. "He was in the wrong but there were two of them in it initially and Mr Sturdy escalated what happened."

The defendant was living in Geneva and returned to Ireland for all court dates.

Mr O'Mahony said the gardai had regarded the incident as a one-off. Work colleagues had submitted testimonials on Sturdy's behalf.

The accused would need time to raise funds for compensation. The judge adjourned the case to a date in February and said the sum he had in mind was €2,500.

Sturdy was remanded on continuing bail.