| 11.4°C Dublin

Violent taxi hijack man is jailed for three years


Ross Cahill

Ross Cahill

Ross Cahill

A MAN who took part in the violent hijacking of a taxi driver's van has been jailed for three years.

Ross Cahill (22) encouraged his accomplice, who was armed with a knife, to stab the taxi driver after the two men had taken a €5 fare.

Cahill of Hazel Grove, Portrane, Donabate, Co Dublin pleaded guilty to unlawful seizure of the vehicle at Castleknock on May 8 last.

In April 2012 the driver, Feargal MacEoin, was the victim of a separate "shocking" violent attack by two men over a €26 fare.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that Cahill was highly intoxicated when he took part in what was described as a horrific and traumatising attack last May.

Judge James O'Donohoe suspended the last two years of a five year prison sentence after noting that since the hijacking Cahill has being charged with eight other offences.

He has 30 previous convictions, including two for robbery.

In his victim impact report, Mr MacEoin said that the attack left him very shaken. He said that despite not feeling safe working nights anymore he feels he is too old to change profession.

Garda Peter Foley told Lorcan Staines BL, prosecuting, that the taxi driver had picked up the two men in Blanchardstown village.

After a short journey Cahill got out and went to the driver's door to pay the €5 fare. His accomplice, who is still before the courts for this incident, pulled a knife and threatened the driver.

The victim got out of the van and the two assailants took it. They were caught later after the van was reported driving erratically.

Mr MacEoin suffered "huge mental and physical scarring" as a result of the 2012 attack by James Murphy (20) and Dean Daly (19) over a €26 fare.

In January 2014 Murphy of Alderwood Rise, Springfield, Tallaght and Daly of Maplewood Park, Tallaght both pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing harm at Alderwood Place, Tallaght on April 28, 2012 and to robbery of a mobile phone, a wallet and cash during the same incident.

Both men avoided a prison term after Judge Mary Ellen Ring suspended a sentence of three years.

She described the assaults as a "shocking and unprovoked attack" but said that she had to have regard to their youth and the fact that neither has any previous convictions