| 8°C Dublin

Trial for man accused of witholding information about RIRA boss's death


Alan Ryan

Alan Ryan

Robert Carroll

Robert Carroll


Alan Ryan

A 30-year-old man who has been charged with withholding information in relation to the the fatal shooting of Real IRA boss Alan Ryan near his home in north Dublin almost three years ago has been sent forward for trial.

Robert Carroll of Ard Cluain, Clonee, Co Meath, is expected to appear before Dublin Circuit Court later this year on the matter which he was first charged with in October, 2012.

He has been granted bail by Dublin District Court subject to certain conditions.

It is understood that Mr Carroll, who is originally from Donaghmede, had spent a number of years living in England after being charged.

In April of last year, an English court refused to extradite Mr Carroll back to Ireland to face charges of withholding evidence.

A warrant for his arrest was first issued when he failed to turn up for a court hearing at Dublin District Court in April, 2013, and he was later arrested in England and held in custody while awaiting extradition.

However, Westminster Magistrates Court told Carroll he would not be sent back to Ireland as the offence listed on the warrant, withholding information from the police in relation to Ryan's murder, was not one for which he could be extradited.

Senior District Judge Howard Riddle said: "It is clear to me all parties have reached a consensus the warrant issued was not for an extraditable offence.The offence in Ireland is not an offence in this jurisdiction and therefore not an extraditable offence, so I must discharge him, he is free to go."

Carroll had initially contested the extradition as he feared he would be murdered by IRA operatives on his return.

However, his defence lawyer later told the court Carroll had decided not to contest it, adding that he wanted to return to Ireland to "sort things out".

Carroll was arrested by gardai in October 2012 on suspicion of withholding information about the murder of Ryan on September 3, 2012.

He was charged, remanded in custody and then released on bail and was due to appear in Dublin District Court in April, 2013, but failed to turn up.

A European bench warrant was issued for his arrest and he was then arrested in Wales in November, 2013.