| 12°C Dublin

Tragic Park gig-goer took 3 ecstasy pills

A MAN who collapsed at the Swedish House Mafia gig in the Phoenix Park took at least three ecstasy tablets before going into the concert, an inquest heard.

Lee Scanlon (20) from Sorrel Heath in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, went into cardiac arrest as he arrived at Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, on July 7 last year after collapsing in a Portaloo at the controversial gig.

He was overheating so much when medics attended to him in the Phoenix Park that he maxed out their thermometers, Dublin Coroner's Court heard.

THRASHING

His father Leo Scanlon broke down as he told the court that he was aware that his son had a problem with tablets but had been off drugs for three months before his death.

The family were initially unconcerned when Lee did not return home after the concert because this was not unusual.

His mother texted him but received no reply.

The court heard that initially Lee was wrongly named and another man's father was called in to identify the body.

The family became concerned on seeing reports of trouble at the concert. His grand-aunt contacted gardai and his father later identified the body at Connolly Hospital.

He attended the concert with three other friends, one of whom told police that Lee took three ecstasy tablets before going into the gig.

Daire Bligh met the group before they went in and said that Lee looked "out of it".

Lee had been at the concert for an hour when security staff alerted first-aiders that he had collapsed in the Portaloos.

He was taken to the medical tent where staff tried to treat him but he was "thrashing around". After he was sedated, they attempted to take his temperature but it was so high it could not be read on a normal thermometer.

They immediately began cooling him down and called for an ambulance.

However, as the ambulance arrived at the hospital, Lee stopped breathing and attempts to resuscitate him failed.

The postmortem found that he died of ecstasy toxicity.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said that ecstasy deaths are not dose related but noted that the level of the drug in his system was significant.

Dr Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy