| 11.4°C Dublin

Thug stamped on terminally ill man's head

A man punched and stamped on a terminally ill cancer sufferer in a city centre alleyway, a court has heard.

Gerard Lowe (33) was caught on CCTV walking down a lane and sharing chips with Kevin Malone. He was later seen banging Mr Malone's head off the ground after the victim fell.

Lowe punched Mr Malone in the head as the victim tried to walk away. Lowe then stood over Mr Malone and stamped on his head.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that Mr Malone had terminal cancer at the time and has since passed away from the disease. He previously told gardai afterwards that the most upsetting part of the assault was that he couldn't defend himself because of his illness.

Lowe, formerly of Cunningham Road and North Great Charles Street, Dublin pleaded guilty to assault causing harm at North Lotts Lane on August 5, 2011. He also pleaded guilty to robbery of an iPhone on Moore Street four days later.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring described Lowe's attack on Mr Malone as "gratuitous and deliberate". She remanded him in custody for sentencing in January.


Lowe has a large number of previous convictions including burglary, theft, and criminal damage.

The court heard that after his arrest Lowe threatened the garda, saying "next time I see you I'll be putting a knife to your throat".

Anne Marie Lawlor BL, defending, said her client was a drug abuser at the time. She said he has made extraordinary efforts to turn his life around since these offences.

She said his own mother had terminal cancer and has since passed away.

During the robbery on Moore Street, Lowe pushed the victim, Rajnee Shara, up against a wall and repeatedly screamed at her: "Give me the phone or I'll kill you."

Garda Damien Byrne told Cormac Quinn BL, prosecuting, that Lowe tried to bite the woman's hand before she released the phone. Lowe also screamed at a passer-by who was trying to help. The woman said she has had to undergo counselling since the attack and is still traumatised.