| 6.8°C Dublin

Three accused of the attempted murder of man later shot dead


Cailean Crawford, one of the men accused of attempted murder

Cailean Crawford, one of the men accused of attempted murder

Cailean Crawford, one of the men accused of attempted murder

Three men have appeared in court accused of attempting to murder Dubliner Wayne Whelan, who was shot dead last year in a separate incident.

Charles McClean (32), Darren Henderson (30) and Cailean Crawford (24) were arrested on Tuesday evening by Lucan gardaí and the Emergency Response Unit in relation to the non-fatal shooting of Mr Whelan last September.

Judge Alan Mitchell remanded them in custody for a week.


They must apply to the High Court for bail on an attempted murder charge.

Mr McClean, of St Mark's Grove, Clondalkin; Mr Henderson, of Cleggan Avenue, Ballyfermot; and Mr Crawford, of Clifden Terrace, also Ballyfermot, were brought before Blanchardstown District Court yesterday morning.

They are accused of attempting to murder Mr Whelan at Griffeen Glen Park, Lucan, on September 4 last year.

They are also accused of arson of a Ford Focus at Old Bog Road, Kilcock, on the same date.

Detective Sergeant John Cosgrove gave evidence of arresting Mr Henderson and Mr McClean and taking them to Ronanstown Garda Station, where they were charged.

Sgt Cosgrove said the men were handed a true copy of the charge sheets and said "No comment" after caution.

In relation to Mr Crawford, Detective Sergeant Ronan Dunne said the accused was taken to Lucan Garda Station where he was later charged.

He made no reply to the charges after caution.

Both Mr Henderson and Mr Crawford work as couriers, while Mr McClean is unemployed, the court heard.

Defence solicitors Michael French, Wayne Kenny and Andrew Broderick were assigned on free legal aid.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning and evening.

This field is required

Judge Mitchell remanded the men in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court next Tuesday.


Mr Whelan (42), who they all- egedly tried to murder, has since died.

He was shot in the head before the Toyota car he was sitting in was torched in the Mount Andrew Rise area of Lucan last Novem- ber 18.

Mr Whelan, whose remains were found in the passenger seat, was identified using DNA analysis.

Two other men are already before the courts charged with Mr Whelan's murder, while a man and a woman are facing charges of perverting the course of justice.