| 0.9°C Dublin

Teens' knife threat terror in phone theft

A JAILED drug addict who robbed five teenagers with a Stanley knife has been handed another five years' prison.

Robert Kinlan (27) was on bail when he met three youths walking home then ordered them to stand against a wall and hand over their mobiles.

The youngest victim, who was 14 at the time, is still in counselling after telling gardai she had never been so scared.

Afterwards, the defendant robbed another two youths, a 17-year-old and a 16-year-old.

He grabbed the older one by the arm, pushed him against a wall and headbutted him.

Kinlan then told the other one: "Don't run or scream or I'm going to stab him four times."

Dublin Circuit Court was told the father-of-one later showed remorse and asked gardai: "Will you tell all the kids that I'm sorry?"

But Judge Mary Ellen Ring said that despite claiming he was intoxicated at the time, the defendant was sober enough to ask the victims to remove their phone SIM cards and batteries so they could not be tracked.

Kinlan, of Ballygall Parade, Finglas, admitted robbery and attempted robbery over the incidents on April 23 last year.

CONVICTIONS

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told he had 40 previous convictions, including five robberies, two attempted robberies and two thefts. Last year he received a four-year prison sentence for another robbery.

Judge Ring suspended the final 18 months of Kinlan's five- year prison sentence, which must be served after his current jail term is completed.

Kinlan also pleaded guilty to the assault of fellow inmate William McDonagh and breach of peace in Mountjoy prison on August 28 2012.

He was one of around 12 prisoners who punched, kicked and cut the victim with blades.

Co-accused Sean Moynihan (22) and David Browne (36), were sentenced over the assault, but others are before the courts.

Moynihan, of Fitzgibbon Court, Dublin, received a three-month suspended sentence on condition he pay €300 to Mr McDonagh. Browne, of Lindisfarne Grove, Clondalkin, received an 18-month suspended sentence consecutive to his release date in 2015.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE


Privacy