| 12.5°C Dublin

Teens face trial over masked raid on store

THESE are the three teenagers who allegedly dressed up in white forensic-style overalls and Halloween masks and robbed a convenience store.

Adam Doyle and Mark Megan allegedly entered the shop in Rathfarnham armed with steak knives and hammers while Gareth Mulhall was the alleged getaway driver.

The three 19-year-olds are facing trial by judge and jury in the Circuit Court after a judge ruled the matters were too serious for the District Court.

Megan, of Wyckham Grove in Dundrum, Doyle, of Grange Manor Road in Rathfarnham, and Mulhall, of The Court, Woodpark in Ballinteer, all appeared before Tallaght District Court charged with robbery.


The alleged incident took place at Grange Spar, Harolds Grange Road in Rathfarnham around 10pm on October 17 last year while staff were shutting up the shop.

The court heard the DPP has directed summary disposal of the matters in the District Court.

Outlining the incident for jurisdiction purposes, Garda Sergeant Bernard Jones alleged Megan and Doyle entered the shop wearing Halloween masks, white forensic-style bodysuits and latex gloves, and carrying steak knives and hammers.

Sgt Jones said three members of staff were in the shop at the time, two who were locking up and one who was behind the counter.

He alleged the defendants threatened staff with the knives, warned them to stay back, and then they went behind the counter and stole cigarettes, worth €400, as well as €150 in cash from the till.

The court heard one of the defendants had a rucksack, and the cigarettes and money were put into it.


The sergeant claimed Mulhall was the getaway driver and did not enter the shop.

Sgt Jones said the garda investigation initially centred around the car, and a name which was called out during the course of the robbery.

He said there was also an attempt by the defendants to sell the cigarettes.

Defence solicitor Padraig O'Donovan accepted the charge was serious, but asked the judge to accept jurisdiction, as no one was injured.

Judge James McDonnell refused jurisdiction, saying the allegation is one which involved considerable planning, and was not an opportunistic crime.

The judge adjourned the case for eight weeks for the service of the book of evidence.