| 13.2°C Dublin

Teenager charged with stab murder of man at halting site


Wesley Mooney (pictued) was fatally injured in Finglas on June 5

Wesley Mooney (pictued) was fatally injured in Finglas on June 5

Wesley Mooney (pictued) was fatally injured in Finglas on June 5

An 18-year-old has been charged with murder in connection with a fatal stabbing at a halting site in north Dublin.

Wesley Mooney (33), from Abbottstown Drive in Dublin, was fatally injured during an incident at St Joseph's Park, Dunsink Lane, in Finglas, on June 5.

Emergency services rushed to the scene but Mr Mooney was pronounced dead a short time later. A teenager was arrested shortly after the incident took place.

Martin Keenan, a married youth with an address at St Joseph's Park, was charged on June 7 with assaulting Mr Mooney.

Following a court hearing, he was then granted bail pending directions from the DPP.

The bail was set in his own bond of €1,500 cash and as part of the conditions he was ordered to sign on daily at Finglas Garda Station, surrender his passport and not apply for any new travel documentation, and have no contact with a named witness.


Keenan was arrested again early yesterday and brought to Finglas Garda Station, where he was charged with the murder of Mr Mooney.

It is alleged the fatal stabbing took place at the defendant's home.

Keenan was then brought by gardai to appear before Judge Grainne O'Neill at Blanchardstown District Court.

During the brief hearing, Detective Garda Sergeant Alan Brady told the court the defendant made no reply when he was charged with the offence.

Det Sergeant Brady applied for a remand in custody.

The defendant, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, did not address the court.

However, his solicitor said there was consent to his client being remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday.

The judge made the order and also acceded to a request from Mr Keenan's solicitor for free legal aid to the accused.

In murder cases, bail cannot be considered by the district court and the 18-year-old will have to make an application to the High Court to get released pending trial.

A book of evidence has yet to be completed and served on him.