| 11.8°C Dublin

Teenage boy is held after gran knifed

A GRANDMOTHER has been stabbed several times and a 22-year-old woman has had her face slashed in two separate knife attacks.

Gardai in Meath are investigating the circumstances surrounding the stabbing of 63-year-old Maevis Daly at her home in Athboy, Co Meath, as she lay in bed on Saturday night.

A 15-year-old boy is being detained and will be psychologically evaluated today by the HSE after the attack.

Mrs Daly is believed to have been stabbed several times by a youth believed to have been sleeping over in her house.

A blade, believed to be a domestic knife, was recovered at the scene and the suspect was taken to Our Lady's Hospital, Navan, where he is being kept under observation.

There were a number of people staying with the woman at the time and she was rushed to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda by relatives.

A statement from gardai said that they were not appealing for witnesses at this stage.

"Gardai have launched an investigation following a stabbing incident at a house in Athboy at approximately 2.30am," the statement said.

"A woman in her 60s sustained a number of stab injuries and is currently receiving treatment at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

"Gardai are following a definite line of inquiry and are not appealing for witnesses at this stage."


Mrs Daly is recovering in hospital today and her condition is described as not life-threatening.

In a separate incident, a 22-year-old Polish woman was viciously attacked last Thursday in her Dublin apartment.

A man is believed to have gained access to her apartment at Loftus Court on Parnell Street before launching a frenzied attack which saw a chunk of her cheek removed.

It is understood that the woman awoke to find the man straddling her with a Stanley blade in one hand and a carving knife in the other.

"This guy let himself in and sat down on top of her," a source said.

"The cuts carried out with the Stanley blade didn't require stitches but the ones inflicted with the kitchen knife required 29 stitches."

Gardai believe that the person responsible for the attack was known to the woman.

The woman managed to free herself and raise the alarm before she was taken to the Mater Hospital.

A man was arrested in nearby Belvedere Place shortly after the attack and was taken into garda custody.

He is believed to be a Polish national.