| 9.3°C Dublin

Teen slashed victim asleep on park bench

A TEENAGER has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years for an "appalling and sadistic" attack on a homeless man who was sleeping on a park bench.

Krzysztof Lutnysi (29) was found with blood bubbling from his mouth and multiple stab wounds to his face.

His injuries included a deep cut to his head, nose and cheek and cuts to his fingers.


He later received 60 stitches in hospital, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard.

Gary Dempsey (19), of Ross Road, Christchurch, Dublin 8, admitted assault causing harm at Cow's Lane, Temple Bar on February 23, 2009.

His co-accused, Joseph Robinson (22) of Forbes Lane, also in Dublin, was jailed for three-and-a-half years for the same offence last month.

The victim was left unconscious by the attack and was unable to say what had happened to him.

The court heard that a passer by found Mr Lutnysi covered in blood and hunched over.

Garda Don Barry told the court that Dempsey and Robinson were coming home from a party in the early hours when they came across Mr Lutnsyi sleeping on a park bench.

The court had been shown CCTV footage of the attack during Robinson's sentence hearing in which Robinson could be seen kicking the victim before both youths walked away.

They were then seen running back to the bench before Dempsey smashed a bottle of beer over the victim's head.

He then stabbed him a number of times in the face with it before he climbed on to the bench and stamped twice on his head.

Robinson then kicked Mr Lutnsyi in the head before both attackers ran off.

Robinson's 59 previous convictions included one for assault.

Dempsey had three previous convictions from the District Court.

He was 16 at the time and had not come to garda attention before the attack. Both men were arrested after gardai viewed CCTV footage of the incident.


Dempsey, who has a five-month-old son, made full admissions telling gardai: "I am sorry big time. What can I say?"

Judge Martin Nolan said: "These were acts of sadism to this man who was not bothering them, did not provoke them and was no threat to them.

Judge Nolan suspended the final year of the sentence after calling the attack "appalling" and said there was "no excuse" for Robinson's and Dempsey's behaviour.