| 6.1°C Dublin

Teen 'led gardai on 150kph car chase'

A 17-YEAR-OLD boy arrested for allegedly leading gardai on a 150kph car chase along the M50 in Dublin has been further remanded in custody at the Children's Court.

The high-speed pursuit began after the teenager narrowly missed running over a garda, it has been alleged.

The teenager was refused bail earlier this month after he was charged with dangerous driving offences over the chase, which allegedly began in a car park on the Kylemore Road, in west Dublin, in the early hours of February 24 last.


Yesterday, Judge Timothy Lucey remanded the teen, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, in custody for a further week for directions from the DPP to be obtained. The defence counsel said it was possible that further charges may be brought against her client.

Garda Gerard Glynn had told the court earlier that he and a colleague signalled the vehicle to stop when they found it in a car park.

The driver halted but revved the engine again and started to speed off as one garda was walking in front of the car.

"He had to jump out of the way for his safety and a pursuit ensued," said Garda Glynn.

The boy allegedly sped along the M50 northbound until he reached the M1, then passed Dublin Airport and took the turn off for Swords, the court heard.

"He reached speeds of up to 150kph, conditions were wet and it was raining. At the Swords exit he lost control and collided with a roundabout."

Garda Amanda Lynch had told the court that it was alleged that on October 28 last, the boy was seen pushing a car, in the Ballyfermot area of west Dublin. He started the engine and "took off at high speed" as gardai signalled to him to pull over.

Garda Lynch said the teenager drove along Cherry Orchard Drive, mounted a footpath and drove over a public park, and proceeded down onto another footpath.

It was alleged the teenager abandoned the car and tried to escape on foot at Croftwood Grove, in Ballyfermot.

The teenager has pleaded not guilty to that incident.