| 10.6°C Dublin

Suspected gang serial killer gets 10 years in jail for botched hit


The car at Clondalkin Garda Station after the botched shooting by James Walsh

The car at Clondalkin Garda Station after the botched shooting by James Walsh

The car at Clondalkin Garda Station after the botched shooting by James Walsh

A suspected gangland serial killer who shot himself in the leg during a botched hit, has been jailed for 10 years.

James 'Nellie' Walsh (30) is being investigated for three gun murders and a number of other firearms incidents.

He was sentenced yesterday at Dublin Circuit Court for offences linked to a botched hit on criminal Michael Frazer.

Walsh has become a jail target for many mobs, including the Kinahan cartel, for his suspected role in murders and other attacks.

Such is the threat against him, the jail van ferrying him to and from court from the Midlands Prison, where he had been serving a separate sentence for burglary, has been always accompanied by armed gardai en route.



James Walsh

James Walsh

James Walsh

Apart from the Frazer hit, 'Nellie' is being investigated for fatal hits on Gerard Eglington, Dean Johnson and Jason Carroll.

Walsh shot himself in the leg while escaping from the scene of where he blasted Drimnagh thug Michael Frazer (37) in a Clondalkin church car park on March 26, 2014.

He previously pleaded guilty to possession of a pistol with intent to endanger life at the Church of the Transfiguration, Bawnogue Road, Clondalkin and attempted murder charges against him were dropped.

It emerged in court that Frazer refused to co-operate with the garda investigation.

However, the Herald can reveal gardai believe Walsh was hired by Frazer's former gang associates in the Crumlin area to shoot him dead.

It was one of five different attempts on Frazer's life in the space of just over a year but the only incident in which he was actually shot.

Yesterday at the Central Criminal Court, Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy imposed a 10-year sentence on Walsh and backdated it to when he went in to custody on December 5, 2014.

Mr Justice McCarthy said it was important to emphasise that there was evidence of the use of a firearm with intent to endanger life in the fact that there was a shooting and a person had two gun wounds.


"That person did attend a garda station for the purpose of obtaining sanctuary and he drove the car from where he had been shot to the garda station.

"He declined to afford permission to gardai to take up his medical records," said Mr Justice McCarthy.

"The absence of the injured party could be the case of Hamlet without the Prince."