| 12.4°C Dublin

Student busted with €3k ketamine haul 'got in over his head'


Gavin Boyle was asked to hold the drugs to facilitate others

Gavin Boyle was asked to hold the drugs to facilitate others

Gavin Boyle was asked to hold the drugs to facilitate others

A student caught with over €3,000 of ketamine on a Dublin street was "not on the garda radar" and had got in over his head because of a drug debt.

Gavin Boyle (21) had been asked to hold the sedative drug to "facilitate" others in the trade when he was stopped by gardai.

Judge Dermot Simms adjourned the case for probation and restorative justice reports, indicating that he would leave Boyle without a criminal record if these were favourable.

Boyle, of Collinswood, Collins Avenue, Dublin 9, pleaded guilty to possession of drugs with intent to sell or supply.

Dublin District Court heard that the incident took place in Willow Park Avenue, Glasnevin, on February 10, 2017.

Garda Stephen O'Carolan said he stopped and searched Boyle at 7.55pm.

He volunteered to the officer that he was in possession of ketamine and handed him a white plastic bag of the drug with a street value of €3,300.

Boyle was arrested and a follow-up search was carried out at his home where more ketamine, worth €140, was found.


Boyle took responsibility for his actions, and Gda O'Carolan said he believed the accused was "anxious to put the matter behind him".

He had never been in trouble before, had not been "on the garda radar" and it was an isolated incident, his solicitor Michael French said.

Boyle had got in over his head in relation to a drug debt and it was "not a case where he was street dealing" but was holding the drug and "facilitating others", Mr French said.

Boyle had been influenced by a negative peer group and his parents were "ashamed and embarrassed" by his actions.

Boyle was a fourth-year biotechnology student and a conviction could have a serious detrimental effect on his future, Mr French said.

Boyle had addressed his offending behaviour, and what happened was a "serious eye-opener for him".

Mr French asked the judge to consider restorative justice.

Judge Simms adjourned the case to October. He also said he would be seeking a charitable donation from Boyle "in the order of €500".