| 10.4°C Dublin

State will keep slain gang member's €4,680

CASH that was seized from a gang member before his murder has been handed over to the State following a court bid by gardai.

More than €4,600 was seized from Anthony Cannon (26) before he was killed in 2009.

Cannon was a member of one of the gangs involved in the ongoing Crumlin-Drimnagh feud

A judge has ordered the forfeiture of the money to the State after the dead man's family did not challenge the garda.

Officers believed the cash was the proceeds of crime when they seized it from his home four years ago.

The order was made following an application by gardai under the Police Property Act at Dublin District Court.

Detective Garda Alan Monaghan told the court the money, €4,680, was seized from the accused at his home at Dun Na Ri, Naas on June 3, 2008.

The accused never laid claim to the cash and it was kept at Harcourt Terrace Garda Station. On July 17, 2009 the accused was killed. Notice of the garda application was served on Cannon's next of kin, his mother Bernadette.

"It is my belief that she doesn't wish to pursue it," Det Gda Monaghan said.

Questioned by Judge Victor Blake, he confirmed that Ms Cannon had been made aware of the application.

The judge asked what her reply had been when the garda spoke to her.

"That she had no means of contesting it," he said.

Cannon, from Robert Street in Rialto, Dublin, died when he was shot in the face by a gunman at St Mary's Avenue West in Ballyfermot on July 17, 2009.

Cannon was wearing a bulletproof vest at the time but was chased down by his attacker, who then delivered the fatal shot at point-blank range.

aphelan@herald.ie


Privacy