| 11.9°C Dublin

'Sorry for his loss' - 24-year-old charged with 'Daithi' murder


Gareth Brophy

Gareth Brophy

Gareth Brophy

A third man has been charged with the murder of David 'Daithi' Douglas, who was shot dead at a shop in Dublin's south inner city in 2016.

When charged yesterday, 24-year-old Gareth Brophy said "sorry for his loss, if that means anything", a court heard.

He was remanded in custody, to appear in court again on Friday.

Mr Brophy, from the south inner city but of no fixed address, appeared in Dublin District Court yesterday charged with murdering Mr Douglas (55) in Bridgefoot Street, Dublin 8, on July 1, 2016.


Two other men have previously appeared in court in connection with Mr Douglas's killing.

Freddie Thompson was convicted and jailed for life for murder at the Special Criminal Court in August.

Nathan Foley (19) has been charged with murder.

Detective Garda Niall Godfrey said he arrested Mr Brophy at the Barn House pub, in Dolphin's Barn, at 11.58pm on Sunday and took him to Kevin Street Garda Station.

He was charged at 2.54am yesterday and in reply after caution, said: "Sorry for his loss, if that means anything."

He was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Det Gda Godfrey said he was in possession of the directions of the DPP, which were for the accused to be sent for trial. Mr Brophy could be sent forward on a signed plea of guilty "should this arise", the garda said.

Defence solicitor Jenny McGeever applied for free legal aid, saying she had submitted a statement of the defendant's financial means to the court and did not think there were any garda objections.

Det Gda Godfrey confirmed that there were no objections to the application.

Judge Dermot Simms remanded the defendant in custody, to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Friday, for preparation of a book of evidence.

No application for bail was made because bail on a murder charge can only be granted in the High Court.


The accused, wearing a grey hooded top and blue jeans, walked into court smiling and greeted family members in the public gallery.

He stood with his arms folded at first, then held behind his back, and occasionally spoke to his solicitor.

At the end of the brief proceedings, he said "go on … love yous", to family members and blew them a kiss.

He has not yet indicated how he intends to plead to the charge.