| 5.6°C Dublin

Son threatened to torch family home and stab his father

A YOUNG man was arrested outside his family home after he was caught shouting threats to burn down the house and stab his father, a court heard.

Harry McCabe (20) had reportedly been running around the street with a knife above his head before gardai arrived and found him making the threats.

The incident happened shortly before the anniversary of his brother's death in a car crash that the accused himself had survived. McCabe had been drinking while on medication and had begun to "unravel".

Judge Victor Blake gave McCabe a three-month suspended sentence and fined him €350 after he admitted public order offences in the incident.

McCabe, with an address at Aughavannagh Road, Crumlin, Dublin 12, pleaded guilty to causing a breach of the peace and failing to obey garda directions on April 13 last. No other charges were brought against him in relation to the incident.

Dublin District Court heard that gardai received a call at 4.50am to say that the accused was running up and down the road with a knife above his head.

On arriving, officers saw McCabe in the front garden of his house. His father had refused to let him in and he ran back out into the road.

"He shouted at his father that he was going to burn the house down and he was going to stab him," a sergeant told the court.


McCabe was arrested at the scene and charged.

The court heard he had four previous convictions – for public order offences and assault.

Two years ago, McCabe and his brother had been in a car crash, his solicitor explained. The accused's brother had died and this incident happened in the run up to the anniversary.

"He began to unravel in terms of the bereavement," she told the court.

"He drank more than he should have done and was taking new medication that had been prescribed by his doctor. The result was some particularly unreasonable and aggressive behaviour."

The court heard it was McCabe's parents who had phoned the gardai at the time.

Judge Victor Blake imposed concurrent suspended sentences totalling three months. They were suspended for a year.