| 9.1°C Dublin

Sister pays €10k to bail Toyosi murder suspect

A MAN charged with the murder of 15-year-old Toyosi Shittabey has been remanded on bail after his sister posted an independent surety of €10,000.

Michael Barry (24) walked out of Blanchardstown District Court on Tuesday after his sister Martina Barry lodged a surety of €10,000.

Their brother Paul (39) remains in custody at Cloverhill Prison and is due to make a bail application before the High Court on Monday.

Both men will both appear before Blanchardstown court next week. Toyosi, a third-year student at Hartstown Community School, was on his way back from the National Aquatic Centre with friends on Good Friday, April 2, when he was stabbed.

Paul Barry, of Pearse Street, Dublin, was previously charged with the manslaughter of the teenager in Tyrrelstown.

This charge was later struck out and the more serious murder charge was preferred.

Michael Barry, of Pigeon House Road, Ringsend, was originally charged with producing a hockey stick during the course of a dispute, contrary to Section 11 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990.

Following directions from the DPP, he too was charged with murder.

The alleged incident took place Mount Eustace Crescent, close to the victim's home.

Defence solicitor Matthew Kenny said Michael Barry had consent to bail, subject to an independent surety of €10,000, of which €6,000 must be cash.

Mr Kenny said his client's sister, Martina Barry, was willing to act as independent surety for her brother.

Ms Barry told the court the money had been lodged and she understood she could lose the money if her brother failed to turn up at court appearances.

Mr Kenny also said Michael Barry had surrendered his passport. Judge Brian Sheridan remanded Michael Barry on bail to appear before Blanchardstown court next Tuesday.

Paul Barry was remanded in custody to appear before the court on the same day.

A number of people from the Nigerian community, including Toyosi's mother were in court. They had left by the time Michael Barry was remanded on bail much later in the day.