| 3.5°C Dublin

Sick man beat medic crew who tried to help him

A young man who assaulted medics from two fire brigade ambulance crews called to assist him during a night of drunken aggression has had his sentence adjourned.

David Hughes (21) assaulted Cormac Cahill as he tried to help him into an ambulance after he had been vomiting blood. He later assaulted Darren Burns who was attending to him because gardai feared he might harm himself.

Hughes, of Teffia Park, Longford, pleaded guilty to assaulting Mr Cahill at Fairview, Dublin, and Mr Burns, at Clontarf Garda Station, on October 24, 2008.

Judge Tony Hunt said at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court the first stop for people accused of assaulting gardai or fire brigade and ambulance crews should be prison, but he said he was taking into account Hughes was a sick man due to alcoholism and depression.

Judge Hunt adjourned sentencing until July to allow a probation report be prepared.

Garda Mark Hannon told Anne Maire Lawlor, prosecuting, that Mr Cahill was part of a Dublin Fire Brigade ambulance crew who attended at a kebab shop in Fairview.

He saw Hughes, who had been vomiting blood, exiting the premises with friends and went to assist him into the ambulance.

After Hughes lashed out and hit Mr Cahill, the gardai were alerted and Garda Hannon attended at the scene.

Garda Hannon said that when he arrived, Hughes was sitting on the path being assisted by friends. When he attempted to restrain him, Hughes became aggressive and hit out. Mr Cahill assisted him and Hughes bit him on the thigh.

Mr Cahill said that in his 13 years in the emergency services he had never encountered anyone so aggressive.


Hughes continued to struggle violently and repeatedly attempted to kick gardai putting him in a patrol car.

On arrival at Clontarf Garda Station he refused to be removed from the patrol car voluntarily by again kicking out at gardai. In the station he spat out at those around him and headbutted ambulance man Darren Burns.

Hughes was arrested the following January and told gardai he remembered little of the night as he had been so drunk. He repeatedly said he was terribly sorry and fully accepted responsibility for his actions.

Garda Hannon said Hughes had no previous convictions but had come to garda attention for an incident at his father's home during a relapse into alcoholism over last Christmas.