| 16.8°C Dublin

Sex offender assaulted teen girls on Luas

A CONVICTED sex offender who sexually assaulted two teenage girls on the Luas while they were on their way to a Rihanna concert has been given a four-year sentence with the final two years suspended.

John Daly (53) was arrested by gardai three months later as he was about to board the tram at the O2 following a One Direction concert.

He had been nominated as a suspect after gardai viewed CCTV footage from the tram when the then 13-year-old and 16-year-old girls had reported him.

AROUSED

Daly admitted during interview that he had deliberately boarded the Luas, heading for the Rihanna concert, to touch young girls and get sexually aroused.

He said he had it "in my head to do it" and had been doing it "for my own satisfaction".

Daly, of Cabra Park, Phibsboro, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to two charges of sexual assault on October 3, 2011.

In February 2000 he was sentenced to three years with one suspended by Mr Justice Paul Carney in the Central Criminal Court for other sex charges.

This sentence was appealed by the Director of Public Prosecutions on the basis of undue leniency and increased to a six-year term by the Court of Criminal Appeal.

Daly had pleaded guilty to attempted rape and indecent assault charges relating to two young girls on dates from 1980 to 1984, and to aggravated sexual assault and sexual assault of a woman on dates from 1997 to 1998.

Judge Mary Ellen Ring noted that the concert would have attracted a young and predominantly female audience.

"It was clear from the evidence that this was a matter known to the accused and he knew there would be on the Luas to the O2 at the time a number of young females," she said.

She referred to the two victim impact statements that had been handed into court on a previous occasion. She noted one of the girls had coped well with the incident but the other girl had been affected to a greater extent and was more afraid generally.

PLANNING

Judge Ring said the incident had been a "shocking and damaging event" for the girls.

She noted that there was an element of planning and forethought in the offence.

Judge Ring said that Daly has indicated that he wanted to get treatment and he had been assessed as suitable for the Safer Lives programme.

The judge said it was to everyone's benefit that treatment should be a part of sentencing but she could not overlook his record and the nature of the offending.

She suspended the final two years on conditions including that he be under the supervision of the Probation Service during the suspended portion of the sentence and attend the Safer Lives programme.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE


Privacy