| 14.6°C Dublin

Seven years since Anglo fall, Drumm is due in court after overnight flight from Boston


David Drumm, the former chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank, and his wife Lorraine

David Drumm, the former chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank, and his wife Lorraine

David Drumm, the former chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank, and his wife Lorraine

David Drumm is due to appear before an Irish court today - almost seven years after he fled the fallout from the collapse of Anglo Irish Bank.

The former Anglo chief executive was expected to touch down at Dublin Airport this morning accompanied by a small number of gardai.

Detectives travelled to Boston late last week to collect Mr Drumm (49) after formalities surrounding his extradition were completed.

He had spent much of the past five months in a maximum security prison south of Boston.


Mr Drumm was scheduled to be handed over to gardai by US marshals ahead of an overnight transatlantic flight.

On arrival in Dublin, he is expected to be brought straight from the plane to the Bridewell Garda Station in the city centre to be formally charged.

Once that takes place, he will be brought to a sitting of the district court, where a judge will hear evidence of arrest, charge and caution.

He is facing 33 charges, including ones for fraud and false accounting, according to papers filed as part of his extradition proceedings.

All of the charges relate to the final year of his tenure at the helm of the bank.

The Dubliner will make an application to the court to be released on bail. He can appeal any refusal to the High Court.

It is unclear whether or not the bail application will be opposed by the DPP.

Mr Drumm had been seeking an assurance that he would be released on bail if he agreed to return to Ireland.

But he told a US court last month that no deal had been done.

Today's development brings to an end months of wrangling over his return.

Mr Drumm refused to return home for questioning, despite a number of requests from gardai investigating matters leading up to the nationalisation of the bank in January 2009.

Despite his refusal to cooperate, the DPP decided to issue charges against Mr Drumm and he was arrested at his €1.75m home in Wellesley, an upmarket suburb of Boston, on October 10 last year.


Initially, Mr Drumm refused to agree to his extradition. But after two failed attempts to secure bail, he changed his mind.

It is thought the decision was influenced by his continued incarceration at the Plymouth County Correctional Facility, a place Mr Drumm's lawyers described as "unrelentingly harsh" and "uncomfortable".

In an interview last month signalling his decision to return, Mr Drumm said he was determined to get to Ireland as soon as possible to contest the charges.