| 16.4°C Dublin

Serial sex attacker gets 10-year curfew on release from jail


Moore’s inability to stop offending was ‘a real concern to the court’

Moore’s inability to stop offending was ‘a real concern to the court’

Moore’s inability to stop offending was ‘a real concern to the court’

A serial sex attacker described as posing an indefinite danger to women has been jailed for 18 months - and ordered to obey a curfew for 10 years after his release.

Convicted rapist Paul Moore (51), of Mountjoy Square in Dublin 1, was jailed for sexually assaulting a woman on a southside Dart in 2014.

Moore has been jailed six times for sexual offences over the last 25 years, and was on bail awaiting sentence at the time of the 2014 attack.

Judge Melanie Greally ordered that Moore keep to a curfew from 10pm to 8am for the next 10 years. He must also remain alcohol and intoxicant-free when in public and address his alcohol use.

Moore pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to sexually assaulting the woman on August 28, 2014.

Judge Greally suspended the final 18 months of a three-year sentence on strict conditions.

Judge Greally said that a report from the Probation Service noted that Moore expressed no remorse, had proved resistant to all efforts to rehabilitate him and posed an indefinite danger to adult females.

She said that alcohol was a major contributing factor to his offending.

Previously, the court heard Moore assaulted the victim, an au pair, as she was travelling home from college. He sat next to her and tried to start a conversation, before touching her breasts and pulling at her trousers.

Gardai examined CCTV footage of the incident but Moore was not recognised until two years later.

In the meantime, he sexually assaulted two women in separate incidents in the city centre. In 2015, he was jailed for 15 months for these attacks.


In that case, Judge Martin Nolan noted Moore "has a predisposition to violence towards women which manifests as rape and sexual assault".

His other offences include raping a musician in 2001, for which he received 10 years, and raping another woman in 1995, for which he received seven years.

Judge Greally said Moore's inability to desist from offending, no matter what punishment was imposed, was a matter of real concern to the court.

She said the legal system did not allow for preventative detention regardless of how compelling the argument might be.

Moore's defence counsel said he lived an isolated life and had been disowned by his family. He works one day a week in a charity shop.

Earlier, prosecutor James Dwyer handed into court a copy of a recent newspaper report with the headline, "Get this rapist off our streets". He said he was not making any application but felt the article should be brought to the court's attention.

Judge Greally said she was uninfluenced by headlines such as this but said, "you'd want to be living on planet Mars to be unaware of publicity this case has attracted".

Breffni Gordon, defending, said his client had been photographed and identified and held up for public vilification. He said Moore has been profoundly upset by this and has been attacked in the street as a result of the publicity.

"Some say he has brought this upon himself," he said.

Judge Greally said the offence in question lay at the lower end of the scale but that the historical context of offending was of such an exceptional nature that she must depart from sentencing norms.

She said the apparently disproportionate period of supervision reflected the indefinite need for monitoring of Moore.