| 10.4°C Dublin

Second man (18) sent for trial over Melanie murder

AN 18-YEAR-OLD youth has been sent forward for trial accused of murdering teenager Melanie McCarthy-McNamara who was shot dead in a drive-by attack in Tallaght earlier this year.

Daniel McDonnell, with an address at Brookview Lawns in Tallaght, Dublin, is now facing trial in the Central Criminal Court.



charged

He had been charged last week at Tallaght District Court in connection with the drive-by shooting of 16-year-old Melanie at Brookview Way, Tallaght, in February.

Detective Garda Kieran McGrath from Tallaght Garda Station had said the youth made no reply after he was charged with the teen girl's murder. McDonnell, who has just turned 18, had been remanded in custody and appeared at Cloverhill District Court yesterday.

Judge Grainne Malone was told the book of evidence was ready and she sent him forward for trial on a charge of murder. He has been further remanded in custody to St Patrick's Institution.

He was the second man to be charged in connection with the fatal shooting. In February, 23-year-old Keith Hall of Kilmartin Drive in Tallaght was charged with Melanie's murder.

Melanie was sitting in her boyfriend Christopher Moran's car on February 7 this year when a shot was fired from a black 4x4. Melanie was hit in the head.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy