| 0.7°C Dublin

Second chance for bus attack teenager

A YOUTH has been spared a custodial sentence following a gang attack on a man with learning difficulties, who was beaten up on a bus in Dublin.

The then 16-year-old had pleaded guilty earlier to assault causing harm to the man, on September 16, 2009.

He had agreed to take part in a six month action plan of restorative justice activities under supervision of the Probation and Welfare Service.

Judge Timothy Lucey heard that the youth had completed the action plan and agreed to strike out the case.

The Children's Court had heard that the man now aged 18, and two others approached the victim on the upper deck of a bus and attacked him.

Garda Olive Holden said the victim, who was known to the accused was "bleeding from his ear and had bruising to his face."

She said the teenager, who has no prior criminal convictions, claimed he had been attacked by the victim.


Privacy