| 11.8°C Dublin

Row over €100 drug debt led to stabbing, trial told


William Gilsenan

William Gilsenan

William Gilsenan

A man was allegedly stabbed to death during a row over a €100 drug debt, a murder trial heard.

William Gilsenan (24) of The Green, Larch Hill, Oscar Traynor Road, Santry, in Dublin has pleaded not guilty to the murder of 29-year-old Edward Fitzgerald in a car park outside his home on October 17, 2014.

On the opening of the trial yesterday, Dillon Mahady told prosecuting counsel Orla Crowe SC that Fitzgerald was his best friend and "like my big brother".


On October 17 he went with Mr Fitzgerald to the estate where they knew Mr Gilsenan lived. He said the accused owed Mr Fitzgerald €100 for marijuana and wanted his money.

They didn't know which apartment Mr Gilsenan lived in, he said, so they sat in a car and smoked a joint.

Mr Mahady said that when Mr Gilsenan and another man arrived in a taxi behind them, Mr Fitzgerald got out of the car to confront him and they had an argument, after which Mr Gilsenan walked towards The Green and Mr Fitzgerald got back into the car.

The court heard that as the pair were about to leave, Mr Gilsenan emerged again and Mr Fitzgerald shouted at him from the driver's seat of the car: "What's the story?"

Mr Gilsenan approached the car and another argument flared up with the accused man standing at the open passenger-side window where Mr Mahady was sat.

Mr Mahady said: "Willy just snapped."

He said Mr Gilsenan moved to the front of the car. "Eddie was half in the driver's seat and half trying to get out," he said.

"Eddie was trying to open the door and Willy was swinging what I thought were punches until I saw a blade in his hand."

He described it as a kitchen knife with a black handle.

"Eddie was trying to get out and he was trying to hit him back but there was no way that could happen," Mr Mahady said.

He said Mr Gilsenan wiped the knife and threw it into grass.

Mr Mahady tried to get his friend into the back of the car to take him to hospital but Mr Fitzgerald said "I'm not going to make it", so he called for an ambulance and tried to stop the bleeding.

The trial continues.