| 8.8°C Dublin

Robber fled to the UK because of a 'threat on his life'


Stephen Cloake fled to England more than five years ago

Stephen Cloake fled to England more than five years ago

Stephen Cloake fled to England more than five years ago

A robber jumped behind the counter of a barber shop and took cash and a mobile phone while a staff member looked on in fear, a court heard.

Stephen Cloake (33) also stole €1,000 worth of tools from a woman's shed and threw them over her garden wall before running away.

The incidents happened more than five years ago, but Cloake fled to Britain because of a "serious threat on his life".


Judge Cormac Dunne adjourned all cases against Cloake and he requested a pre-sentence probation report.

Cloake, with an address at Errigal Road, Drimnagh, admitted robbery at Wellington Quay on December 2, 2010 and trespass and stealing €1,000 worth of tools at Kildare Road, Crumlin, on June 26, 2011.

Dublin District Court heard that the defendant and another man went to the barber shop at 6pm, jumped over the counter and took a money pouch with €150 in it.

He also stole a mobile phone and a wallet, and the victim was "in fear as a result of the actions of both males", a garda said.

The defendant was arrested after he was identified on CCTV footage.

In the second incident, a householder in her 30s saw a man in her back garden at 7.10pm.

Cloake entered the shed and took out a number of tools, throwing them over the back wall before fleeing.

Cloake also admitted a number of shoplifting incidents in which he stole hundreds of euro worth of cosmetics, razors, toiletries and other goods.

The offences happened at locations including Dunnes Stores, South Great George's Street. In some cases the goods were recovered.

There was a six-year gap between the offences and the court appearance because there had been a "serious threat" on Cloake's life and he went to the UK in that time, his solicitor Edward Bradbury said.


"There were some difficulties of a personal nature. There were threats made against him," said Mr Bradbury.

When he returned to Dublin, he presented himself at Kilmain- ham Garda Station.

Judge Dunne adjourned the case to a date next month for the production of an up-to-date probation report.