| 16.8°C Dublin

Reveller hit girlfriend in face for 'speaking to another man'

A REVELLER punched his girlfriend in the face in anger after he thought he saw her speaking to another man at a nightclub bar, a court heard.

Ihir Haliti (30) left the victim shocked and shaken after the attack, with soft tissue injuries to her face.

Judge Michael Walsh ordered Haliti to pay €2,000 compensation to the victim and ordered him to complete 200 hours community service in lieu of six months in prison.

The defendant, with an address at The Way, College Farm in Newbridge, Co Kildare, admitted before Dublin District Court to seriously assaulting his former girlfriend.

The incident took place at Lillie's Bordello, Grafton Street, Dublin 2 shortly before 3am on June 19, 2011.

Garda Chris Egan said the couple were socialising in the nightclub when an argument broke out between them and Haliti punched his girlfriend in the face.

Garda Egan said Haliti was then restrained by security staff and gardai were called.

The garda said Haliti's Irish girlfriend suffered soft tissue injuries and was very shaken and shocked by the assault.

Garda Egan said the defendant was interviewed by gardai and made full admissions in relation to the assault.

The court heard Haliti has seven previous convictions, all for road traffic matters.

Defence lawyer Kevin White said the defendant and the victim dated for a year and a half and were living together when this incident took place.

Mr White said the victim was at a family function and Haliti met her and her brother at Lillie's Bordello.

He said there was an argument and Haliti punched her.

He said security staff intervened quickly and the defendant was taken away from the scene.

Mr White said Haliti is deeply sorry for his behaviour, and it was completely out of character for him.

The lawyer said Haliti had taken a lot of alcohol on the night, and he mistakenly thought the victim was speaking to a man at the bar and he struck out at her.

Mr White said the defendant, a car valeter, is originally from Kosovo, but has lived in Ireland for 12 years.

He has not had any contact with the victim since this incident, and he is now married to another woman.

Judge Walsh said the assault was "nasty and vicious".