The Court of Criminal Appeal has quashed the conviction and ordered the retrial of a man accused of raping and sexually assaulting a girl from when she was aged nine.
The Waterford man was jailed for eight years in May 2010. He denied all the charges, which were said to have occurred at his home between 1994 and 1997.
Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman said the court would overturn the conviction and order a retrial having found that an element of the judge's charge to the jury was inadequate and rendered the verdict unsafe.
More tourists visiting Ireland
TRANSPORT and Tourism Minister Leo Varadkar has welcomed figures showing visitor numbers to Ireland went up 11pc this year.
The latest Central Statistic Office figures show that 2.1 million people came to Ireland during the peak June to August period. This was an increase of 6.1pc on the same period last year.
"These figures are very encouraging. The Irish tourism industry is on track to record growth in overseas visitors for the first time since 2007," Mr Varadkar said.
Rape-charge teen faces trial
A DUBLIN teenager is to go on trial after he was charged with raping a six-year-old boy.
The boy (15) appeared at the Dublin Children's Court on Thursday to face two counts of rape which allegedly occurred on a date earlier this year.
The defendant, who was aged 14 at the time, is related to the complainant, the court also heard.
The DPP has issued a direction that the boy is to stand trial at the Central Criminal Court on both charges. Judge Clare Leonard remanded the teenager to appear again on a date in December.
Boy (16) on bail over sex assault
A TEENAGE boy accused of sexually assaulting a young girl almost two years ago was remanded on continuing bail to await a date for his trial.
The boy (16) has pleaded not guilty at Dublin Children's Court to a charge of sexual assault of the then five-year-old at an address in west Dublin on a date in November 2009.