| 12.9°C Dublin

Rapist who 'needed break' is fined for failing to tell gardai about trip to Spain


Michael Murray in Sandymount last year

Michael Murray in Sandymount last year

Michael Murray in Sandymount last year

One of the country's most infamous rapists has been fined €150 for failing to notify gardai that he had travelled to Spain after he was brutally assaulted in Dublin's Irishtown area.

Michael Murray (59) appeared before Dublin District Court yesterday where he admitted the offence under the Sex Offenders Act 2001.

He had been charged that last October 2, he did not notify gardai that he had changed his address and left the jurisdiction.

Murray's solicitor, Richard Young, outlined the background to the case, saying his client had been "seriously assaulted" in the area where he lived last September 27.


It was alleged that the assault happened after Murray "was harassed by various different media outlets".

The rapist required treatment at St Vincent's Hospital after suffering a fractured eye socket and broken jaw in the attack, which is being investigated by Irishtown gardai.

Mr Young said his client felt that he "needed a break" after the assault but when he returned he provided gardai with information about where he was living.

Murray - of Sandymount, Dublin 4 - was missing for "four weeks" and it was alleged that the reason why he was assaulted was because his address had been revealed in the media.

After hearing that Murray had a total of 11 previous convictions dating from 1989, Judge Colin Daly fined him €150.

Murray has been mostly based in the Dublin 4 area since he was released from jail in July 2009 after being caged in 1996 for raping four women and sexually assaulting two others in south Dublin during a six-day period in September 1995.

However, he has also been homeless for periods of time.

Two of his victims told his trial that they thought they were going to die.

Murray carried out the first rapes in Dalkey, Killiney and Monkstown, but he then began to move out of the area.

His next victim was in Rathmines, when he attacked and stabbed a girl.

After days of surveillance, he was seen returning to his mother's house and was arrested.

He admitted 13 charges out of an original indictment of 30. He pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, two of aggravated sexual assault and seven of assault.


The assault charges related to suffocation or strangulation of his victims so he could sexually assault or rape them.

Murray also admitted charges of malicious wounding, wounding with intent to maim or disfigure, and possessing a knife with intent to intimidate.

He was handed down 10 concurrent terms of 18 years and three concurrent terms of three years by Mr Justice Lavan, who described his crimes as "horrific".

"Reading the statements of the six individual victims would almost render one speechless at the indignity, horror and terror they had been subjected to," he said.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy after walking into the back garden of a house.

He also served a sentence for rape in the UK.