| 6.3°C Dublin

Rape accused admits giving drug to women

A man accused of raping two friends admitted to gardai that he gave them an anti-depressant between them to "keep them happy and entertained".

He said he had given them a quarter tablet each and agreed that it would have a relaxing effect on the two women. He accepted that he had told the women it was ecstasy.

The accused has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to raping the first woman and has also denied charges of raping and sexually assaulting the second woman at his home on July 2, 2011.

The 34-year-old denied in a garda interview that the tablet would have made the friends tired or sleepy, telling gardai.

"It was not my intention to put them to sleep. I just wanted them to have a good time," he said. The court later heard that gardai recovered almost 360 of these tablets from the man's apartment.

Amounts of the active ingredient in the drug were found in blood samples taken from both women and experts concluded that the level of the drug was significant enough to have the appropriate medicinal affect.


The court heard the notes from the man's interview with gardai in which he consistently denied that he had sex with either woman without their consent and described "making out" with both girls at some stage in the evening. He told gardai he had sex with the first girl for about 20 seconds after she stood up on the bed and pulled down her underwear.

He said he then felt like he needed to urinate so he stopped, wrapped himself in a towel and went to the bathroom.

When he returned he said the first girl had fallen asleep but her friend was awake. He said he touched this woman's arm and she responded and touched the small of his back.

He said they were lying on their sides face to face and he had sex with her. The man told gardai that the woman then started to "freak out on me", shouted at him for trying to have sex with her and then told his flatmate that he had tried to rape her.

When asked by gardai why he had not returned to having sex with the first girl after coming back from the bathroom, the accused replied: "She was asleep and I did not want to wake her."

The trial continues.