| 7.1°C Dublin

Predator Murphy to be extradited on charge of grabbing woman in city


Philip Murphy outside court in 2008

Philip Murphy outside court in 2008

Philip Murphy outside court in 2008

One of Ireland's most notorious predators is due to be extradited back here next week after spending nearly a year fighting his return.

Philip Murphy (39), from Clondalkin, was arrested in London last July on a European Arrest Warrant on charges of false imprisonment and sexual assault.

He has been in custody since then, and fought his extradition all the way through the English court system until the High Court ordered on May 19 that he be sent back to Dublin.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the UK courts granted an extension to his removal, but he must be returned to Ireland by next Wednesday at the latest.


His extradition was first ordered, by Westminster Magistrates Court, last November, but he appealed against that decision to the High Court while remaining in a London prison.


Philip Murphy in 2016 after his release from Arbour Hill Prison

Philip Murphy in 2016 after his release from Arbour Hill Prison

Philip Murphy in 2016 after his release from Arbour Hill Prison

"He clearly really does not want to come home," a source said last night.

The Herald can reveal that one of the offences Murphy is wanted for relates to an incident in the Jervis Lane area of the city centre on the night of February 25, 2016.

Murphy had been released only the day before from Arbour Hill Prison, where he was sentenced to 10 years for falsely imprisoning a Polish woman in Clondalkin on June 7, 2008.

In the Jervis Lane incident, it is alleged he grabbed a woman from behind and put his arms around her before running off.

The DPP directed charges in this case in March 2018, almost exactly two years after he was arrested and questioned about it.

However, Murphy had left Ireland by then, and it was 16 months before he was tracked down py police in London.

He fled to the UK in Septem- ber 2016, days after he was subjected to a vicious beating by a vigilante mob of up to eight men after he left a shop in the Parkgate Street area of the city.

Murphy had been staying in various locations in the capital and Co Wicklow after his release from Arbour Hill.

In relation to the 2008 attack on the Polish woman, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told Murphy was nominated as a suspect on the basis of his modus operandi.

Judge Frank O'Donnell said that during the trial it had been put to Murphy, who denied the charges, that he had been "scouring the countryside looking for a victim", but noted that he could only deal with the evidence before him.


He imposed a 10-year sentence for the false imprisonment offence and three years for producing a knife, to run concurrently.

The woman was waiting at a bus stop to go to work when Murphy pulled up in a car and threatened her with a knife before she managed to make her escape.

She pleaded with him and believed she was going to be raped or killed.

Murphy was the chief suspect in a similar incident in 2008.

He was questioned about the attempted abduction of another woman, and previously sliced a taxi driver's neck with a bottle and left him with life-threatening injuries.