| 11.8°C Dublin

Poisoned girl wins ¤6.3m over KFC meal

Fast-food chain KFC has been ordered to pay ¤6.3m in damages to the family of an Australian girl who was left severely brain-damaged and in a wheelchair after being poisoned by a chicken meal.

In 2005, Monika Samaan, then aged seven, her parents and her brother were hospitalised with salmonella poisoning after eating a Twister chicken wrap at a KFC restaurant near Sydney. KFC said it was "deeply disappointed and surprised by the decision" and would appeal.

A New South Wales Supreme Court judge said KFC had breached its duty of care and awarded the family A$8m in damages.

Their lawyer, George Vlahakis, said the girl's illness had "exhausted the very limited resources of the family".

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy