| 16°C Dublin

Plumber charged after hen party guest died from carbon monoxide

A PLUMBER has been charged with manslaughter over the death of a woman from acute carbon monoxide poisoning in the bedroom of a top Irish hotel.

Richard Davis (45) was charged with killing Miriam Reidy (35) who was discovered unconscious in the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork on January 9, 2011.

Ms Reidy, a Tralee-based bank worker, was in Kinsale for a cousin's hen party.

An inquest into her death heard that she had a 57pc blood saturation rate for carbon monoxide, far into the fatal range, which extends from 40-50pc.

She died shortly after being discovered unconscious.

Miriam was found alongside her sister, Patricia (37), after fellow party-goers became concerned about their welfare when they failed to come down for breakfast.

Patricia spent almost two weeks in hospital recovering.

Yesterday, Richard Davis of Ballygarvan, Co Cork was charged with the manslaughter of Ms Reidy, and two breaches of the Health and Safety Act before Macroom District Court.

Mr Davis, who operates a Cork-based plumbing firm, did not comment.

Solicitor Shane Collins-Daly applied for legal aid for his client. Mr Davis, the court was told, was a self-employed plumber earning up to €800 a week.

He pays €500 a week towards his mortgage, and is married with three children.

A statement of means was handed in to the court and Judge James McNulty granted free legal aid.

Gardai indicated that they had no objection to bail.

Judge McNulty remanded Davis to appear again before Kinsale District Court on September 19.

 

Passport

A number of conditions were issued as part of Mr Davis's bail.

He directed the defendant to surrender his passport to the gardai and sign on at Togher Garda Station once a week.

"That doesn't prevent you from foreign travel, provided it is approved by the gardai first," the judge said.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy