| 2.6°C Dublin

Paranoid killer stabbed 'gentle giant' 100 times

A MAN convicted of fatally stabbing a Dubliner more than 100 times committed the gruesome crime out of "pure paranoia" gardai believe.

The sisters of murder victim David Whyte (35) burst into tears after the "psychotic" 36-year-old was yesterday sentenced to life for the fatal stabbing of their brother.

Criostoir MacCarthaigh of An Gleann, Baile Phamar (Palmerstown), had pleaded not guilty to stabbing Mr Whyte more than 100 times between September 24 and 26, 2008.


The Herald can reveal that MacCarthaigh who previously served a three-year jail sentence for possession of a pipe bomb in Coolock was so paranoid that he wrongly thought innocent Mr Whyte was "either a garda or a member of a rival IRA faction" when he savagely attacked him.

A senior source said: "As he continued to stab him, he shouted 'who are you, who are you?' at this unfortunate gentleman before he finally killed him.

MacCarthaigh was previosuly a member of the Real IRA but was booted out for his involvement in this murder.

"Jail is the only place this individual belongs – he is an extremely dangerous, violent and paranoid man," a source commented.

A jury of seven men and four women (one juror was discharged due to illness) came to the unanimous decision at the Central Criminal Court yesterday.

The murder trial heard that the accused had stabbed the deceased 'to pieces' in the ruin of an old church five years ago.

The jury heard that MacCarthaigh had been drinking in a flat in Phibsborough on the night of the killing.

He had left at around 11pm to go into the city centre when he encountered David Whyte on Ulster Street. MacCarthaigh then attacked and drove David Whyte to Mill Lane in Palmerstown where he stabbed him repeatedly in a church ruin.

David Whyte's sisters Lesley and Paula were emotional during the delivery of the verdict.


David Whyte's brother-in-law Jonathan Spollen, said in a victim impact statement: "David was a happy go lucky, gentle giant who never harmed a soul in his life.

"Unfortunately our Davy found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time after a night out socialising with his friends. It could have been anybody's son, brother or friend that found themselves in this horrendous situation."

"David was minding his own business, walking home from the pub," he said.

He added: "It was an attack on an innocent man who found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time."