| 14.4°C Dublin

Pal stabbed to death in row over boxer's €50 debt, court told


Accused Wayne Kennedy

Accused Wayne Kennedy

Victim David Spain

Victim David Spain


Accused Wayne Kennedy

A Dublin man has gone on trial accused of murdering a 26-year-old man in Shankill and stabbing a professional boxer after a fight over a debt of €50.

Wayne Kennedy (34), with an address at Rathsallagh Park in Shankill, Co Dublin, is charged with murdering David Spain on December 26, 2013, as well as intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Sean Turner (24) on the same date.

At the Central Criminal Court Mr Kennedy pleaded not guilty to both counts.

Prosecution counsel Paddy McCarthy told the jury of 10 men and two women that at 4.45am on St Stephen's Day 2013, Mr Kennedy sent a text message to Sean Turner which said: "Enough is enough you owe me €50 for months now, I don't want to fall out with you but you're taking the p*** now."

The court heard that Mr Turner, who is a professional boxer and was aged 22 at the time, replied saying: "Are you trying to be smart?" The accused then allegedly replied: "Enough is enough I'll meet you now." The two men then turned up in a green area at the front of Rathsallagh Park for a "straightener or a fight".

The barrister said Mr Turner came out of his friend Mr Spain's house, where he had been at a party, and went to the centre of the green in the estate to wait for Mr Kennedy, who was coming from his own home.

"Unfortunately Mr Kennedy brought a knife with him to meet Mr Turner and they grappled," said the prosecution counsel. "Mr Spain wasn't as well known to Mr Kennedy as Mr Turner. The deceased was just back from Australia for Christmas and was celebrating in his house at the time," said Mr McCarthy.

Mr Turner received two knife wounds which broke into his ribs and into his abdomen causing "considerable injury" and were "potentially fatal".

The court heard Mr Turner ran back in the direction of the deceased's house shouting he had been stabbed. Mr Spain then came from his home to run after the accused, Mr Kennedy, who was running to his own house.

The court heard Mr Spain threw a number of punches at Mr Kennedy, who had a knife in his right hand and stabbed the deceased six times. Both victims were taken to St Vincent's Hospital where Mr Turner was operated on and Mr Spain was pronounced dead on arrival.

The trial before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy is expected to last five days.