| 8.1°C Dublin

OAP's finger is broken in ring theft, court told

A TEENAGER charged over a burglary in which an elderly woman suffered a broken finger when an engagement ring was forcibly taken was remanded on conditional bail yesterday.

The boy (15), had been charged at the Dublin Children's Court with burglary at Gledswood Park, in Clonskeagh, on the evening of September 13 last year.

However, in May it was held the teen and a co-defendant, a boy also aged 15, should be sent forward for trial to the Circuit Court, which can, on conviction, impose lengthier sentences.


The teenager did not turn up to court on July 2 last when he was to be served with a book of evidence. Yesterday, he was brought before the court where Judge Catherine Staines heard that the boy had mixed up his dates.

She noted from Detective Garda Darren Kerins that there was no objection to bail subject to an independent surety, a 9pm to 9am curfew and signing on conditions.

Judge Staines approved the teen's adult sister as a surety, as his mother is currently in prison. She remanded him on bail to appear again in four weeks when he is to be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial to the higher court.

In an outline of the evidence, the court was told earlier that it was alleged that the 78-year-old woman had been at home, lying on her bed reading the newspaper.

Detective Garda Kerins said the front door to her home had been forced open with a screwdriver.


"She looked up and observed two males in her bedroom, one was searching her closet, one approached and removed her engagement ring from her forcibly," Det Gda Kerins said.

He told the court that both males left and the ring was never recovered.

The woman went to her doctor afterwards and was prescribed medication for the trauma and also had a broken finger as a result of her ring being removed from her.

Det Gda Kerins said that neither male admitted which of them had taken the ring from the elderly woman.

The court had been told the boy was aged 14 at the time and had acted as a look-out for the burglary. His co-accused was returned for trial earlier this month.