| 7.5°C Dublin

OAP told attic flooded in alleged €4,200 scam

A 24-YEAR-OLD man and a teenage boy have been remanded in custody after being accused of stealing €4,200 from a pensioner who was allegedly tricked into believing his attic was flooded.

Father-of-one Patrick Stokes of Kishogue Park, Lucan, Dublin, and the 17-year-old, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile, were charged with theft and trespassing offences.

It is alleged they stole €4,200 from a 79-year-old widower, at his home on Ballyfermot Parade, Dublin, on Monday.

Detective Garda James McDevitt told Judge Ann Ryan that it was alleged that Patrick Stokes had entered the man's home claiming there had been reports of a leak in his attic.

It would be alleged he removed insulation from the pensioner's attic and wet it in the bathroom of the house.

The elderly man paid €2,200 and was allegedly told by Patrick Stokes to go to his bank and withdraw €2,000. It was claimed the pensioner withdrew the money and handed it over but later Mr Stokes allegedly "demanded another €2,000".

Garda McDevitt said there was no evidence of any burst pipes in the attic and a piece of insulation had been found in a bath in the widower's house.

Judge Ryan refused to grant bail and remanded them in custody to October 16.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy