| 12.9°C Dublin

Nurse jailed for stabbing three people at party


GUILTY: Brian Quinn. Photo: Collins Courts

GUILTY: Brian Quinn. Photo: Collins Courts

GUILTY: Brian Quinn. Photo: Collins Courts

A PSYCHIATRIC nurse has been sentenced to eight years in prison for stabbing three people following an 18th birthday party at a neighbouring house.

Brian Quinn (46), formerly of Deer Park Avenue, Kiltipper, Tallaght and now living in Balbriggan, had pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Stephen Keogh, Lee Harte and James Toner Snr on October 9, 2011.

He had further pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing harm to Kurtis Lennon, James Toner Jnr and Robert Ryan and production of a knife on the same date.

The jury of two women and nine men convicted Quinn following a trial last November on the charge of seriously assaulting Mr Harte and assaulting Mr Lennon and Mr Toner Jnr causing them harm. He was also convicted of production of a knife. Quinn was acquitted of the remaining charges.

Judge Carmel Stewart gave an eight-year sentence to Quinn, who the court heard had no previous convictions.

"Even a person of good character must expect his own life to be affected. Offences involving knife attacks are to be taken seriously," said the judge.


The court heard medical evidence that Mr Harte had to receive a blood transfusion after doctors discovered he had a collapsed lung and part of his bowel coming out from a stomach wound.

Both Mr Lennon and Mr Toner Jnr suffered single stab wounds to their stomachs.

The court heard that the stabbings took place after an altercation outside the two neighbouring houses escalated from "handbag stuff" into physical aggression.

Quinn told gardai during interview that he saw a "sea of faces" pushing into his house and his partner, Gabrielle Keegan, being attacked by some men at the door as she smoked outside.

He said he had grabbed a "pen or corkscrew" from his pocket and had fought his way out of his house to come to his partner's aid, but he was "not sure what happened next".