| 11.8°C Dublin

Nurse guilty of three stabbings after party row

A psychiatric nurse has been convicted of stabbing three people after a row with his neighbours following an 18th birthday party.

Brian Quinn (46) formerly of Deer Park Avenue, Kiltipper, Tallaght, now at Balbriggan, had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Stephen Keogh, Lee Harte and James Toner Snr on October 9, 2011.

He also denied assaulting Kurtis Lennon, James Toner Jnr and Robert Ryan and production of a knife.

But the jury yesterday convicted him of seriously assaulting Mr Harte, assaulting Mr Lennon and Mr Toner Jnr and production of a knife.

He was acquitted of the remaining charges.

Quinn, who didn't react to the verdicts, had his bail revoked and was remanded in custody until next week when a date will be set for sentence.

The court previously heard the stabbings took place after an altercation outside two neighbouring houses escalated.

Quinn told gardai he saw a "sea of faces" pushing in to his house and his partner, Gabrielle Keegan, being attacked by some men at the door.

He said he had grabbed a "pen or corkscrew" and fought his way out to go to his partner's aid, but was "not sure what happened next".

He claimed he was hit on the head with a baseball bat and pulled through his hallway by about eight or nine people.

He then saw two young lads kicking and standing on his partner.

Prosecutor Paul Carroll said at least eight stab wounds had been inflicted.

Both Mr Lennon and Mr Toner Jnr suffered single stab wounds to their abdomens.

Mr Harte had a blood transfusion after doctors discovered he had a collapsed lung and part of his bowel coming from his abdomen wound. Mr Toner Snr, a convicted drug dealer who has served jail terms in Ireland and Scotland, stated he had part of his bowel removed during treatment for two stab wounds.


He told the court he had a "total block" as to what had happened.

"I have no real recollection of the night but there was chaos and shouting. The only thing I remember is getting hammered, drinking shots," he added.

Mr Keogh, who suffered a liver laceration from a single stab wound below his rib cage, said his memory of the event was "hazy or sketchy" because of the bangs to his head.

An orthopaedic consultant told the court Quinn suffered amnesia, had problems forming words and "signs of acute confusion" while being treated for head injuries after the incident.

Quinn's amnesia and dysarthria, a motor speech disorder, resolved over time.

The jury heard that Quinn had an orange belt in jiu jitsu and had received physical restraint training for his work as mental health nurse.

He told counsel that this would be practised without inflicting harm and that he would never deliberately stab anyone.

He further claimed that Mr Toner Sr had engaged in increasingly threatening behaviour towards him since he complained about noise and anti-social behaviour a few months before that night.

Mr Toner Snr denied having ever made threatening gestures in the shape of a gun to Quinn or singing Republican songs to him.

He added: "I never made gestures and I was not abusive to that man."

He said he was not a violent man, and had not been involved in any of the "handbag stuff" going on outside his house before the stabbings took place.