THE fixing of a date for the hearing of a surrender request for Ian Bailey, below, has been put back by the High Court until the new legal term later this year.
Mr Justice Michael Peart, sitting at Court 21 of the Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin's Parkgate Street, adjourned the matter until October 13 but heard Mr Bailey was "anxious to get a date".
Authorities in France are seeking Mr Bailey's extradition in connection with the murder of French woman Sophie Toscan du Plantier 13 years ago. He is wanted for the alleged "wilful homicide and serious assault and battery".
The 53-year-old, with an address The Pararie, Toormore, Schull, Co Cork, has always denied any involvement in the film producer's death. Her body was discovered at her holiday home in December 1996.
Yesterday, the court heard the State was not yet in a position to respond to certain issues being raised in the case because a sworn affidavit from a French lawyer had not been filed.
Judge Peart said he was "concerned" about the delay in this document being filed as there had been a "lengthy" passage of time since Mr Bailey's arrest. He said he could not allow the case to "be adjourned indefinitely". Lawyers for Mr Bailey were told the affidavit from the French lawyer was to be filed during the vacation.