| 16.8°C Dublin

Mum-of-3 on knife attack murder charge 'too ill' for court


Accused Christina Anderson

Accused Christina Anderson

Accused Christina Anderson

A mother-of-three accused of murdering a man in a knife attack has had her case adjourned after a judge was told she was too unwell to attend court.

Christina Anderson (38) is charged with murdering father-of-seven Garreth Kelly (39), who died after he was stabbed in a housing estate in west Dublin last week.

Mr Kelly had been trying to start his car to go to work when he sustained fatal wounds and died on the street.

Ms Anderson was remanded in custody in her absence yesterday by Judge Colin Daly at Dublin District Court.

The accused, of Brownsbarn Wood, Kingswood, is charged with murdering Mr Kelly on February 25.

Yesterday was her second court date on the charge.

Defence solicitor Michael Kelleher told Judge Daly he appeared for Ms Anderson, who was in custody and not present in court.

"There is a note to say she is unwell, judge," he said.

Detective Sergeant Dara Kenny told the court the investigation file was being prepared and asked for a further two-week adjournment.

Mr Kelleher said that on the last date, the court had ordered reports and asked if it could be clarified whether this was a psychiatric or psychological report.


Judge Daly said the order was for the accused to be medically and psychiatrically assessed and for a separate psychiatric report for the court.

He remanded Ms Anderson in her absence to appear before the court again on March 18.

When she first appeared in court last week, Det Sgt Kenny said Ms Anderson made no reply when charged and was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Ms Anderson sat with her head bowed throughout last week's brief hearing, in which she was flanked by six prison officers.

Her husband had been present on the last date and had listened to the proceedings from the back of the court.

Mr Kelly, originally from Tallaght but who had been living in Clondalkin, was believed to have been staying with his partner at another house in the Brownsbarn estate at the time of the incident.

His car would not start when he came out to go to work at 7am, and he was working on the engine when he sustained stab wounds.

His body was removed to Dublin City Morgue for post-mortem examination.

His Skoda was examined at the scene before it was taken away for further investigations.

Mr Kelly's funeral will take place tomorrow.