| 16.7°C Dublin

Mum accused of knife murder is 'unfit' for court


Accused Christina Anderson (38) was remanded in custody

Accused Christina Anderson (38) was remanded in custody

Accused Christina Anderson (38) was remanded in custody

A mother-of-three accused of murdering a man in a knife attack in a Dublin housing estate has had her case adjourned after a judge was told she was "medically unfit" for court.

Christina Anderson (38) is charged with murdering father-of-seven Garreth Kelly (39), who died after he was stabbed on a street in the west of the city last month.

Mr Kelly had been trying to start his car to go to work when he sustained fatal wounds.

Ms Anderson was remanded in custody in her absence yesterday by Judge Paula Murphy at Dublin District Court.

The accused, with an address at Brownsbarn Wood, Kingswood is charged with murdering Mr Kelly last February 25.

Yesterday was her third court date on the charge.

Defence solicitor Michael Kelleher told Judge Murphy he appeared on behalf of Ms Anderson, who was in custody and not present in court.

Garda Sergeant Paul Keane said the case was listed for a book of evidence.

Mr Kelleher said there was a note before the court from the Central Mental Hospital.


A prison officer said Ms Anderson was "medically unfit".

Judge Murphy noted that the accused had been remanded in her absence on the previous date. She adjourned the case to April 1.

A judge has already ordered the accused to be medically and psychiatrically assessed and a separate psychiatric report to be prepared for the court.

When the accused first appeared in court last month, Det Sgt Kenny said Ms Anderson made no reply when charged.

Ms Anderson sat with her head bowed throughout that first hearing, in which she was flanked by six prison officers.

Her husband had been present on the first date and had listened to the proceedings from the back of the court.

Mr Kelly, originally from Tallaght but living in Clondalkin, was believed to have been staying with his partner at another house in the Brownsbarn estate at the time of the incident.

His car would not start when he came out to go to work at 7am and he was working on the engine when he sustained stab wounds.