| 5.3°C Dublin

Man who waved broken bottle at gardai in station

THIS is the man who walked into a Dublin garda station waving a broken bottle and demanded that gardai return his valium.

Michael Connors (28) was talked out of the station by gardai and he eventually dropped the bottle on the street outside.

A court heard that a female member of the Dublin Fire Brigade was cornered in the public office at the station after Connors blocked the door.

A judge bound him to the peace for a year after she heard that Connors is making good progress, after he had a slip-up in December. The defendant, of Prince Edward Terrace, Dun Laoghaire, admitted before Dun Laoghaire District Court to a large number of public order offences, all on dates in December 2009.

Garda Michael Costello said he was on beat patrol on Marine Road on December 7 when he came across Connors hassling people at a bus stop.

He was told to leave the area but refused to do so, and was verbally abusive to gardai, repeatedly telling them to "f**k off". Gda Costello said Connors later admitted he'd taken cocaine that day.

The defendant was arrested again on December 17 at Bentley House, George's Place, Dun Laoghaire.

Garda Paul O'Donnell said Connors was trying to get into Bentley House and was banging on the front door. He was shouting, "I'll break down the door if I'm not let in".

And on December 18 last, Connors turned up at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station with a broken glass bottle, demanding that gardai return valium to him, which he claimed he'd left behind following an earlier arrest.

Garda Ross O'Doherty said Connors was talked out of the station, and he continued to verbally abuse gardai on Corrig Avenue.

Defence solicitor Ronnie Lynam said Connors went through a bad patch at the time of these offences, and was taking substances he shouldn't have been taking.

Mr Lynam said Connors recently moved into his own flat, is doing well, is seeing a counsellor and looking for a job. The court heard that his new girlfriend has been a very positive influence on him.

Judge Ann Ryan told Connors to keep up the good work and bound him to the peace for a year.