| 12°C Dublin

Man who carried Ryan coffin jailed for being in IRASENTENCE: Nathan Kinsella

A FATHER of six arrested after a garda investigation into paramilitary activity at the funeral of Alan Ryan has been jailed by the Special Criminal Court for two years for IRA membership.

Dubliner Nathan Kinsella (35) had pleaded guilty to membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Oglaigh na hEireann, and otherwise the IRA on September 13, 2012.

Dissident republican Alan Ryan was shot dead outside his home in Clongriffin, north Dublin, in September 2012.

Kinsella, who was himself shot two months later, was due to stand trial at the Special Criminal Court in February. The non-jury court issued a bench warrant for his arrest after he failed to appear.

On February 20, he was arrested and brought back before the court.

Det Supt Thomas Maguire yesterday told Tom O'Connell SC, for the State, that had the case gone to trial there would be evidence of paramilitary activity at the funeral of Alan Ryan.

Mr O'Connell handed the court a book of photographs from the funeral, one of which Det Supt Maguire said showed Nathan Kinsella carrying Ryan's coffin.

He agreed that during the funeral shots were discharged over the coffin outside Ryan's home.


Mr Justice Butler said it seemed that Kinsella came within the middle range of seriousness for the offence of IRA membership, and after taking his background and lack of previous convictions into account, the court considered the appropriate sentence to be one of four years.

However, after taking into consideration Kinsella's plea of guilty, which had saved the court time, Mr Justice Butler said this was worth one year, bringing the sentence to three years.

He said the court had noted the undertaking given, and as it could impose certain conditions that can be monitored it had come to the view that it should suspend the final year of that sentence.

Mr Justice Butler said the sentence would be backdated to February 1 of this year to take into account the 11 weeks Kinsella has already spent in custody.

Kinsella then entered a bond before the court registrar on the sum of €500.

He also undertook not to commit any further scheduled offence in the future, not to associate with any known members of an unlawful organisation or anyone convicted of a scheduled offence before the Special Criminal Court for one year after his release.