| 14.1°C Dublin

Man who avoided jail for sex assault on teen walks free again over attack


Businessman Martin Quigley

Businessman Martin Quigley

Businessman Martin Quigley

A businessman who avoided jail for a sexual assault on a teenager in a Killarney B&B back in 2014 has once again escaped imprisonment.

Martin Quigley (51) appeared before Wexford Circuit Criminal Court on an adjourned charge of assault causing serious harm.

He had been allowed time in order to pay compensation to his victim.

Quigley, of Ballyrahain Lodge, Ballyrahain Lane, Kilmuckridge, Gorey, Co Wexford, had pleaded guilty to assaulting James O'Rourke outside an Enniscorthy licensed premises, causing him serious harm, on November 8, 2009.


The case had been adjourned on several occasions to allow for the payment of €5,000 compensation.

When the case was called before Judge Barry Hickson, defence lawyer Peter Creane told the court that the full amount of compensation had now been paid.

The judge said he would hand down a three-year prison sentence, which he suspended for a period of three years in the defendant's own bond of €100, with the defendant expected to keep the peace for that period.

The court had been told that the victim had received a number of injuries and was left with permanent scarring as a result of the assault.

James O'Rourke was left with a broken nose and a fractured eye socket as a result of the attack. He underwent surgery to repair his cheekbone at St James's Hospital.

As a result of the surgery he was left with permanent scarring on his head.

Mr O'Rourke has had to see his consultant on 17 different occasions since he sustained the injuries, while he has also been prescribed the use of spectacles. The victim also suffered from physical pain as a result of the assault, the court was told.

Quigley had previously appeared before Wexford Circuit Criminal Court in April 2014 on the assault charge, just one day after he was handed down a two-year suspended sentence at Tralee Circuit Criminal Court for sexually assaulting a young woman at a B&B on August 11, 2011.

The court heard how Quigley had dragged the 19-year-old woman into his room after she declined an offer to join him in his bed.

He touched her breasts and groin area outside her clothing and kissed her on the shoulder, before she managed to run from the B&B and alert four men who were outside.


Quigley was handed down a two-year suspended sentence for sexually assaulting the woman.

The victim wept in court as the defendant was given the suspended sentence.

Quigley had 12 previous convictions, including one for assault, a drink-driving conviction, and a number of public order offences.

Following the passing of the suspended sentence for the assault on Mr O'Rourke, Quigley walked free from Wexford Circuit Criminal Court.