| 6.4°C Dublin

Man stabbed in row over woman, inquest told


Daniel Gaynor

Daniel Gaynor

Daniel Gaynor

An apprentice carpenter was stabbed to death in a row over a woman, an inquest has heard.

Maurice Martin's killer stabbed him 14 times in a frenzied attack that started in the box room of the woman's house and continued as the 21-year-old tried to escape through a housing estate in Finglas.

He was found dead at the junction of Cardiffsbridge Road and Tolka Valley Road, Finglas, on June 12, 2009. The man believed to be responsible is gangland hitman Daniel Gaynor, who was shot dead a year later.


Dublin Coroner's Court heard that Mr Martin, from Silverlawns, Navan, Co Meath, went back to the house with the woman, Siobhan Whitaker, having met her at a nightclub in the city centre.

Det Insp Colm Murphy said he was attacked simply because he went back to the house with her.

"He was an innocent young man out celebrating the end of his carpentry course," he said.

The inquest had been adjourned in August when Whitaker changed her evidence.

Having initially told gardai that a man called "Graham" had been attacked at her door, in the stand she said Mr Martin returned to her house in Valeview Drive, Finglas.

They had just gone inside when Gaynor, who was the boyfriend of one of Whitaker's friends, banged on the door before chasing Mr Martin up the stairs and attacking him. Mr Martin ran out of the house and Gaynor chased him, she told the court.

Whitaker received an 18-month prison sentence at the Circuit Criminal Court for impeding the apprehension of an individual she knew or believed to be guilty of murder.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell adjourned so gardai could interview her again. At the resumption of the inquest, DI Murphy said that the matters raised had been addressed.

It emerged on the final day of the inquest that gardai believe Mr Martin was attacked by two men but only one was carrying a knife.

Det Gda Shane Curran said there was evidence he was stabbed in the box room of Whitaker's house, with a trail of blood down the stairs and outside to where he was found.

Witnesses saw Mr Martin staggering along the road with his face and T-shirt covered in blood before he collapsed.


Local resident Matthew Martin told the inquest he saw Mr Martin being attacked at the wall of his house by two men, one of whom had a "long knife".

They were "punching and kicking" him for a number of minutes before running off.

He did not realise at the time that Mr Martin was lying dead on the other side of his garden wall.

The post-mortem found Mr Martin was stabbed 14 times, causing fatal internal injuries. The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing.