| 11.4°C Dublin

Man sent for trial on shotgun and assault charges


Eddie Walshe was charged with possession of a shotgun

Eddie Walshe was charged with possession of a shotgun

Eddie Walshe was charged with possession of a shotgun

A young man who allegedly had a double-barrelled shotgun and four cartridges after he was stopped by armed gardai in west Dublin has been sent forward for trial.

Eddie Walshe (23) is also accused of seriously assaulting a detective sergeant in the same incident.

He is facing trial by judge and jury in the Circuit Court after the DPP ruled that the allegations were too serious for the district court.

Mr Walshe appeared before Blanchardstown District Court charged with possession of a Winchester double-barrelled shotgun. The incident allegedly took place at Blakestown Way in Mulhuddart on October 31, 2015.

He is further charged with possession of four shotgun cartridges at the same time and place.

He is also charged before the court with seriously assaulting Detective Sergeant Declan O'Connell.

The assault allegedly took place during an incident at Huntstown Lawn in Mulhuddart on the same date.


A State solicitor said that the book of evidence was ready and had been served on the accused, who goes forward to the present sitting of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

The State solicitor specified that Mr Walshe was being returned to the ordinary sitting of the circuit court.

Judge David McHugh gave Mr Walshe the formal alibi caution, warning him he had 14 days to provide to the State details of any alibi witnesses he planned calling in his defence.

Defence solicitor Terence Hanahoe and one junior counsel were granted on free legal aid. The judge also ordered a video copy of an interview that gardai conducted with the accused be furnished to his legal team.

Mr Walshe - with an address at Whitestown Park in Mulhuddart - has not yet indicated a plea to the charges. He was remanded on continuing bail to appear before the Circuit Court in three weeks' time. He is also facing two counts of dangerous driving, at Whitestown Avenue and Blakestown Way, both in Mulhuddart, on October 31 last.

He was allegedly driving a 2005 Dublin-registered vehicle at the time of the incident.

He was remanded on bail to a date in September on those matters.