| 6.6°C Dublin

Man claims taxi trapped and dragged him 250 metres down the road


Martin Rehill

Martin Rehill

Martin Rehill

A TAXI driver allegedly dragged a passenger trapped in his cab door for 250 metres, leaving him with "road rash" following a dispute over a fare, a court heard.

Martin Rehill (63) is accused of taking off at speed while pulling the man along and shouting at him that he was "mentally ill".

He has denied charges of dangerous driving and hit and run. Judge Michael Walsh adjourned his case at Dublin District Court.


Mr Rehill, of Daroge, Seven Oaks, Rathmines, is pleading not guilty to dangerous driving and failing to stop or keep his vehicle near the scene of an incident in which a man was allegedly injured.

The offences are alleged to have happened at Rathgar Road last May 31.

Gda Aron Lawlor told the court that it was alleged the passenger was unable to pay the fare at the time. He asked to ring his mother to go and get the money from her.

Mr Rehill allegedly asked for the man's mobile phone as security but the passenger refused and he drove him to Rathmines Garda Station. The passenger got out of the taxi at the station, opened the car door and asked if Mr Rehill was coming, Gda Lawlor said.

It was alleged that the accused then took off at speed, with the passenger trapped by the vehicle's door.

Gda Lawlor said the man was dragged for 250 metres and the accused shouted at him a number of times, calling him "mentally ill" and repeatedly jamming on the brakes. Another taxi with a passenger on board that was following behind pulled alongside the defendant and boxed him in. The alleged victim managed to free himself.

Gda Lawlor said the injuries suffered by the man were "not life-changing" and were "road rash injuries".

"He has physically recovered but mentally, I am not 100pc sure he is over the incident," the officer said.


Defence solicitor Maura Kiely pointed out that there were no charges of assault or endangerment of life against Mr Rehill.

"The allegations as outlined will be denied by my client," she added.

Judge Walsh remarked that it was a serious matter, but the defendant enjoyed a presumption of innocence.

He adjourned the proceedings to next month to set a date for the hearing of the case.

The court heard there would be seven witnesses for the prosecution.

The defendant, who did not address the court, was remanded on continuing bail.