| 13.2°C Dublin

Man alleged to have used meat cleaver in shop theft


Patrick Whelan is alleged to have stolen €600 from shop

Patrick Whelan is alleged to have stolen €600 from shop

Patrick Whelan is alleged to have stolen €600 from shop

A young man accused of assaulting a shop assistant while armed with a meat cleaver has been sent forward for trial.

Patrick Whelan (20) allegedly left the victim with a cut to the scalp following the robbery.

It is alleged that about €600 was taken by the accused from the convenience store.

Whelan, with an address at Greenfort Crescent in Clondalkin, appeared before Blanchardstown District Court charged with robbery.

The incident allegedly took place at the Daybreak store, Woodview Grove in Blanchardstown, on July 27 last year.

He is also charged with possession of a carving knife and a meat cleaver in the same incident.

Whelan is further accused of seriously assaulting a shop assistant and with allowing himself to be carried in a stolen vehicle.

In relation to the allegations, it was previously claimed that Whelan, who was armed with a meat cleaver, stole about €600.

Garda Sergeant Maria Callaghan further alleged that the shop assistant was assaulted during the robbery.

The court also heard that the investigation file contains 15 witness' statements and 16 exhibits.


A state solicitor said the DPP had directed trial on indictment in the circuit court on the charges, where the penalties upon conviction are greater than in the district court.

A state solicitor said the book of evidence was ready and had been served on Whelan, who goes forward to the present sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Judge David McHugh gave Mr Whelan the formal alibi warning.

The judge also assigned defence solicitor Fiona Brennan and one junior counsel on free legal aid.

Judge McHugh ordered that a copy of a video interview which gardai conducted with the accused be furnished to his legal team.

As part of his bail conditions, Whelan has been ordered to stay out of Blanchardstown, except for court appearances.

He has also been ordered to have no contact with the alleged injured party or any witnesses.

Mr Whelan has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charges.

The accused was remanded on continuing bail to appear before Dublin Circuit Criminal Court later this month.