| 6.1°C Dublin

Man (29) linked to Hutch murder is further remanded


Gareth Hutch was a victim of the Kinahan-Hutch feud

Gareth Hutch was a victim of the Kinahan-Hutch feud

Gareth Hutch was a victim of the Kinahan-Hutch feud

A 29-year-old man charged with unlawful possession of a handgun in connection with the murder of Gareth Hutch in Dublin, has been further remanded in custody.

Father-of-one Gareth Hutch (35), a nephew of Gerry "the Monk" Hutch, was shot dead as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats where he lived on North Cumberland Street in Dublin's inner city, on the morning of May 24.

He died during a series of killings in a feud between rival Kinahan and Hutch gangs.

Thomas Fox, who has an address at Rutland Court, in north inner city Dublin, is charged with unlawful possession of a Makarov 9mm handgun at Avondale House on May 23, a day before the shooting.

The charge is contrary to section 27A of the Firearms Act which can carry a sentence of up to 14 years. He has not yet indicated how he will plead.

He had been initially refused bail by Dublin District Court on June 1 and was remanded in custody.


He faced his ninth hearing on Wednesday when he appeared before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court.

Judge Blake further remanded him in custody for another two weeks. At the previous hearing, on September 28, the judge heard that the State was seeking an adjournment for as long as possible to allow time for the DPP's directions to be obtained. He was told the case is extremely complex that about 300 statements have been taken and progress is being made.

The accused has been in custody since June 1 on the one charge before the court.

The court has also heard that the investigation involved the examination of 5,000 hours of CCTV.

He is one of two people before the courts charged in connection with the shooting.

Mary McDonnell (43) with an address at Avondale House, North Cumberland Street, has also been charged and is accused of withholding information from gardai investigating Gareth Hutch's murder. She is on bail and is due back in court in November. She has not yet entered a plea.